Saturday, April 12, 2008 at 9:50 AM

Turks and Caicos Islands Premier Michael Misick accused of rape! (Updated)

Posted by Anthony L. Hall

On Thursday, word that a woman accused Premier Hon. Dr. Michael Misick of rape spread throughout the Turks and Caicos Islands (TCI) like wildfire. And such is the disaffection and disillusionment with his leadership that even supporters of his ruling Progressive National Party (PNP) were adding fuel to rumours about his premiership going down in flames.

Nevertheless, I admonish all of my compatriots to resist the temptation to speculate too much about what this accusation portends for Premier Misick, and for our country. Especially since he categorically denied it in a statement he delivered on state TV on Thursday night:

My fellow Turks and Caicos Islanders, a few days ago, an American female, after leaving the Turks and Caicos Islands, made a false report to law enforcement officials in the United States that she had allegedly been sexually assaulted by me. I strongly and categorically deny these false allegations…. I am confident that I will be completely and fully exonerated of these false and outrageous allegations.

Let me be clear, I will continue my duties as Premier.

Moreover, it will be weeks, if not months, before our attorney general decides whether there is sufficient evidence to even file charges against him. Not to mention that our Premier is entitled to, and must be accorded, the presumption of innocence until proven guilty!

(Of course, given the plethora of complaints about him denying others the Constitutional rights to which they are entitled, I fully appreciate how difficult this admonition will be for many of you to accept.)

That said, there’s no denying the national, regional and international interest in this story. Therefore, I hope this commentary will at least foster more informed gossip about it.

Indeed, since the facts in these “she said, he said” situations can only be established in a court of law, I can only comment on what reliable sources claim occurred:

It is my understanding that Premier Misick committed this alleged rape over a week ago at the Providenciales mansion he shares with his American (actress) wife, First Lady Lisa Raye. The accuser is said to be an American friend of Lisa Raye. After being raped, she reported the crime to the TCI police. And, shortly thereafter, she returned to her home in the United States and reported it to the FBI, which of course poses far more ominous consequences for the Premier.

(Incidentally, one can only hope that our police followed proper procedures – particularly by using our version of a sexual assault forensic evidence (SAFE) kit to gather and preserve physical evidence. On the other hand, Premier Misick is probably hoping for police incompetence in this respect….)

But that’s it for all of the alleged facts that are relevant. Nevertheless, they beg all kinds of unanswerable questions and are rife with political and legal implications. For example:

– If this rape occurred over a week ago, I wonder whether guests who attended the gala opening of the Nikki Beach Resort and Spa last weekend can recall (even if through a drunken or drugged-out haze) any antic behaviour the Premier and First Lady displayed that could be attributed to it.

– Given the Premier’s Clintonian denial, I wonder if we should infer that his defense will be that he did not rape her, but did have consensual “rough” sex with her.

– Since the accuser is an American, I wonder how aggressive a role FBI agents are playing in the investigation. The Premier is clearly naive if he thinks they’re “just observing” – as he declared.

- I wonder which role the First Lady will choose to play: Will she stand by her man; or will she fly the coop back to the US to stand by her friend – especially if the FBI and IRS make her an offer she can’t refuse?

(Of course, if she flees and divorce proceedings ensue, we’d have to end our tourism ad campaign featuring her in the most lucrative role of her life; which would result in millions more of our money being squandered by this TCI government.)

– I suspect senior members of the ruling Progressive National Party (PNP) were already suffering acute anxieties over the looming commission of inquiry into corruption in the TCI. Therefore, I wonder how close they came to finally throwing the Premier overboard to save their own hides.

– Yet, I wonder whether these allegations will make the British more, or less, inclined to establish this commission.

But this seems a good place to stop wondering and to assert that it is wishful thinking to assume that prosecuting (and even convicting) Premier Misick for rape renders moot the need for a commission of inquiry. Because, if anything, this episode dramatizes how critical the need for one has become.

After all, the members of the UK Foreign Affairs Committee (FAC) were not “shocked, appalled [and] astonished” just because the Premier reeked of corruption. They expressed those feelings because the entire government reeked of it.

Indeed, it is arguable that if the Governor, government ministers and the Attorney General did not give tacit approval to (or participate in) his alleged political and financial crimes, Michael Misick would not have been our Premier when he allegedly perpetrated this violent crime….

Meanwhile, those who were unjustly enriched by the corrupt government practices he institutionalized may be in for a rude awakening. Because it is also wishful thinking to assume that this Premier will go on trial for rape without ratting out even family members in a plea to save his own hide.

(For example, his lawyers might negotiate a plea bargain with British and American authorities that requires him to tell all about his tangled web of corruption in exchange for leniency on the rape charge….)

Therefore, it behooves all who have just cause to fear that he may eventually implicate them to plead their case to the FAC before it’s too late. And the offer I made in my recent commentary on the looming commission of inquiry (i.e., to liaise with the FAC on anyone’s behalf) still stands.

That said, even though rife with political implications, this is first and foremost a criminal matter. And we should leave it to TCI, British and American authorities to investigate the allegations, and to prosecute the Premier if the evidence warrants – in accordance with the due process of law.

In the meantime, however, I would caution him against traveling to the United States. Because I’m sure the FBI would like nothing more than to arrest him and assume original jurisdiction to prosecute him there.

Never mind that, in recent years, the US has so extended its extraterritorial jurisdiction over people who commit violent crimes against Americans abroad, the Premier might not be
safe from the FBI’s dragnet even ensconced in his TCI mansion.

Stay tuned….

NOTE: No doubt some of you are wondering if the TCI Attorney General will dismiss this allegation of rape against our Premier the way the Director of Public Prosecutions in St Vincent and the Grenadines dismissed two separate allegations of rape against that country’s prime minister, Dr. Ralph Gonsalves, earlier this year.

And frankly, given that the TCI Attorney General decided last year that there was “no public interest” in prosecuting the Premier on credible charges of assault, theft and obstruction of justice, chances are very good that his legal reasoning will mislead him into dismissing this allegation as a strictly private matter.

However, the reason Premier Misick will not get off as easily as Prime Minister Gonsalves did is that his accuser is an American, not a native woman. (Pathetic I know, but it’s really that simple….)

More to the point, I suspect that, ultimately, the FBI and US prosecutors will pursue justice for her far more more diligently and objectively than our arbitrary and capricious Attorney General would have done for one of our own.

Related Articles:
Commission of Inquiry looms
FAC “shocked and appalled”
Open Letter to PM Gordon Brown
Alas, throwing Premier Misick overboard is necessary
No public interest in prosecuting the Premier…?
A wannabe gangsta

* This article was also published today in the most widely read newspaper in the Caribbean: Caribbean Net News

Comments

1. Bingo May 3, 2008 at 3:31 pm

It’s funny, everybody is ready to hang the Premier. I believe let people conduct a proper investigation and wait for the findings… Let the Premier continue his role and do his job… it’s all too easy to point and accuse

2. Charlotte Jones August 9, 2008 at 12:41 pm

This creep intends to prey on every lonely woman in the black entertainment community for money if they let him. I hope they put him under the jail. He passes himself off as a rich premier when he has NOTHING. Lisa raye will be penniless when he gets through draining her pockets. Her mental health is at great risk. And her entire life will never be the same, just like Terri McMillan, who has done no appreciable work since she got rid of her caribbean con man. they’re all the same. evry single one are american haters.

3. SINGLE LADIES OF TCI December 11, 2008 at 11:58 am

Bingo my comment to you is… What job is this man doing other than bring disgrace to our beautiful by nature Turks & Caicos Islands. We can no longer allow him to lead he need to resign immediately. and to Ms. Jones… you made some sense there but left be serious, it is NOT Mrs. Lisaraye’s monies being spent but that off the people of the Turks & Caicos Islands and it shows as you we are all hurting. It is time that the innocent survive and the guilty be convicted.

My lord does not sleep as the Turks and Caicos goes through this time… We are seeing them one by one burying themselves.

God bless these Turks & Caicos Islands and no man will cuse them.

4. Baily J Lara December 19, 2008 at 9:13 am

I feel like I should take a moment to say something, I stayed at Grace Bay earlier this year and I had the complete PLEASURE of meeting Premier Michael! He is charismatic and charming, Me and my girlfriends went to Turcks and Caico we loved it! The Premiere made us feel so welcome, and from my research I can tell that it is the number 2 jet set spot in the world and I feel personally as if everyone in the Truks and Caicos is trying to get rid of all the international travellers. Michael made it all so VIP and isn’t that what we all want in the end? What would be the point of coming to a place where we are not welcome? I don’t think that my experience in the Turks and Caicos Islands would have even come close to what I experienced and quite frankly without our patrongage and international ‘tourism’ it would be a rock of an island. There are SO MANY tropical and beautiful islands we could choose. Take it or leave it. without Premiere Michael Misick it would be NO different than every other place we’ve been!

5. Donna Hill December 8, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Why did he ruine such beautiful marriage? By cheating and having babies outside the marriage. Why?

6. Danielle Lovey Grant 23, of Las Vegas is a RAPIST, she and another man used a date rape drug on Victom at 2900 El Camino ave. apt 170, Danielle L Grant sodomized the victim with a plunger, Intestines were hanging out of rectum of victom.She is lite skinned 4 ‘9 to 4’11 and she drives a black ford Focus, She works as an dental assistant during day. .STOP her please. Victom is too ashamed to go to police, Danielle L Grant MUST BE STOPED her last know ph # 702-685-9588
    El Camino apt 170 Danielle Lovey Grant sodomized the victim with a plunger, Intestines were hanging out of rectum of victom.She is lite skinned mixed women 4 ‘9 to 4’11 and she drives a black ford Focus, She works as an dental assistant during day.STOP her Please. HER LADanielle L Grant 22, of Las Vegas is a RAPIST, she and another man used a date rape drug on Victom at 2900 El Camino ave. apt 170, Danielle L Grant sodomized the victim with a plunger, Intestines were hanging out of rectum of victom. She is lite skinned 4 ‘9 to 4’11 and she drives a black ford Focus, She works as an dental assistant during day. Sometimes Las Vegas Escort/ Prostitute .STOP her please. Victum is too ashamed to go to police, Danielle L Grant MUST BE STOPED, Known Drug Addict, and Drug Dealer. her last know ph # 702-685-9588

7. Danielle Lovey Grant, of Las Vegas is A RAPIST October 16, 2010 at 1:28 pm

El Camino apt 170 Danielle Lovey Grant sodomized the victim with a plunger, Intestines were hanging out of rectum of victom.She is lite skinned mixed women 4 ‘9 to 4’11 and she drives a black ford Focus, She works as an dental assistant during day.STOP her Please. HER LADanielle L Grant 23, of Las Vegas is a RAPIST, she and another man used a date rape drug on Victom at 2900 El Camino ave. apt 170, Danielle L Grant sodomized the victim with a plunger, Intestines were hanging out of rectum of victom. She is lite skinned 4 ‘9 to 4’11 and she drives a black ford Focus, She works as an dental assistant during day. Sometimes Las Vegas Escort/ Prostitute .STOP her please. Victum is too ashamed to go to police, Danielle L Grant MUST BE STOPED, Known Drug Addict, and Drug Dealer. her last know ph # 702-685-9588